Tous les sujets sur la Midget.
Dinosaure
Région : France - Ile-de-France
Type : B
année : 1973

Re: votre avis sur une midget

Message par Dinosaure »

Une suggestion :
Choisis toi-même un centre de contrôle technique pas trop loin de l'endroit ou se trouve l'objet de tes désirs, et propose au vendeur un contrôle volontaire à tes frais.
Si le vendeur refuse, passe ton chemin.
S'il accepte, je doute fort que le contrôleur, prévenu qu'un achat est envisagé, fasse l'impasse sur un examen soigné sur le pont...
Tu auras certes dépensé quelques sous, ...mais peut-être fait des économies appréciables :oui:
ttersu
année : 1968

Message par ttersu »

L'idée est excellente :b:
Dinosaure

Message par Dinosaure »

C'est qu'on apprend de ses erreurs, je confirme ;)
aimegb
Région : France - Rhône-Alpes
année : 1971

Message par aimegb »

"C'est qu'on apprend de ses erreurs, je confirme ;)"

Je confirme aussi :respect: ( les pigeons ça laisse des plumes )

Si les bons conseils qui te sont prodigués ici ne te servent à rien, alors......................
débourser 150 € environ
pour avoir le rapport d'un expert automobile qui est à même de bien chiffrer le coût des travaux
ou aller la voir avec un ami mécano serait judicieux.
danv8
Région : France - Poitou-Charentes

Message par danv8 »

Toi tu veux lui gâcher son rêve... :lol:
Faut que jeunesse se passe!
wildthing
Type : Plusieurs

Message par wildthing »

beaucoup de rouille de surface à première vu...

conseille d'achat :
on va voir le véhicule
inspection des bas de caisse et sous les portières
on soulève les tapis
verifier derrière les sièges les support de supension AR c'est un point sensible sur les midget
les bas de caisse sur les ailes AR coté porte et derrière la roue
verifier s'il elle n' a pas été "choquée" ( parallélisme, position des pare chocs etc..)
passer un aimant sur divers point de carrosserie vous donnera un état de la qté de mastique

et puis évidement on l'essaye

apres le coup de coeur ne se commande pas

slts
jonatoon

Message par jonatoon »

merci pour vos reponses

*SMS* vrai qu elle est bien attaquée, et pour 6000€ *SMS* trop chere pour l'état...
j'ai demandé à baisser le prix mais vous vous doutez de la réponse.

c 'est quand même con elle était à 10km de chez moi !!!!
JPierre
Région : France - Pays de la Loire
année : 1975

Message par JPierre »

Des fois, il vaut mieux faire quelques (centaines?!) kilomètres de plus, bizarrement ça peut revenir ( beaucoup) moins cher.....
Souviens toi de ta bleue...

Et comme le dirait le plus distingué d'entre nous: après.... :hehe:
JPierre

Message par JPierre »

Ce que l'on voit n'est pas très éclairant...
Pourquoi ne passes-tu pas par l'onglet photos pour les mettre sur tes posts? Là il faut les ouvrir une par une et on ne peut pas les agrandir ( en tous les cas depuis mon smartphone) bref, pas pratique...
Patatra
Région : Belgique
Type : Midget
année : 1976

Message par Patatra »

ça parait quand même beaucoup mieux pour le même prix
Orque
Type : TF
année : 2010

Message par Orque »

Modifié en dernier par Orque le 02 oct. 2019, 11:21, modifié 1 fois.
jonatoon

Message par jonatoon »

oliv_austin
Type : Midget
année : 1967

Message par oliv_austin »

D'accord avec tout ce qui est dit ci-dessus.

J'ai acheté une seule fois une voiture uniquement sur photos parce qu'elle présentait bien, il s'agissait d'une morris mini traveller (break bois). Verdict, ailes internes arrière rebouchées au mastic, rouille perforante au faux-chassis arrière, et structure monocoque qui commençait à se désolidariser. --> Leçon apprise, désormais je me déplace ou envoie quelqu'un.
JPierre

Message par JPierre »

C'est mieux...

Photos sombres et ce sont quasi toutes les mêmes prises de vues. Aucun avis objectif possible avec ce peu d'éléments pour ma part.
MG O1->B69

Message par MG O1->B69 »

Pas mieux que les autres avis exprimés.
En fait, il semble ressortir que vous préfériez un prix (6500€) à une Midget une midget?
IL faut aller vois sur place et renseigné des traps que peut dissimuler une caisse de Midget :(

Un peu de saine lecture:
https://www.mgcc.co.uk/articles/mg-midget-buying-guide/
Bodywork

Apart from the Mk1 Austin Healey Sprite, the body shape on the rest of the Midgets and Sprites looks the same. That’s as far as it goes as there are quite a few changes as production and models move through the years. However, there are many publications that go into great detail on all the minute changes, so I will just touch on a few, more important ones.

When looking at a Midget or Sprite attention should be paid to two main areas, corrosion and body damage / repairs. Staring at the front of the car we have quite a few things to look at. The bonnet is often an area that has had some attention at times. Due to it’s design and the way it is held open, the whole assembly flexes, this causes stress in the front of the bonnet and where you have stress, you get corrosion, this with the fact that the reinforcements of the panel at the front are a water trap means that this is a serious corrosion area.

Likewise, the lower front panel is vulnerable to corrosion plus the lower parts of the front wings. On a detail note here, it is worth researching the model year of your car as in 1968 / 69 there was a change in sidelight position, the later cars were fitted with the light unit slightly lower in the wing below the headlight, it is amazing how many cars are fitted with either the wrong wings or even odd wings!

Look also to the front of the wheel arch, if it is out of shape or appears to be pushed out slightly, this could indicate accident damage. Moving back, the rear of the front wings is also a mud trap where it meets the top of the sill, this area will rot away and also the footwell panel and sill with it, in extreme cases, the inner sill and front floor can be effected too.

The ‘A’ posts (door hinge panels) are very susceptible to rust, again a stressed area and a water trap. Pay particular attention here, as unprofessional repairs in the past have been common. The doors are often an area to aware of rusting; pay particular attention along the bottoms and the front lower corners.

Because of the nature of these little cars, they are a convertible and as such have often been used in wet conditions; ingress of water through open top motoring or just leaks can often lead to constantly wet carpets and thus over time, rusting floors and sills. Because the roof is NOT a supporting panel, the main strength of the shell is in the inner and outer sills and the gearbox tunnel.

It is very rare that the gearbox tunnel will be found to have any corrosion due to engine and gearbox oil leaks over the years protecting it, the sills on the other hand are a key area of corrosion. Badly fitted sills or a damaged car can quite often be noticed when opening and closing the doors. The gaps should be neat and equal and the door should open and close with ease and should certainly not nip.

The next areas of concern are the rear spring mountings. The early cars with the quarter elliptic are more vulnerable to corrosion as all the stress of the mounting is taken up in one area at each side of the car. Look for collapsed spring box mountings or an uneven ride height as an indication of trouble.

I have come across some frightening so-called ‘professional’ repairs in this area, most of which totally unsafe. The later cars with the semi elliptical springs are still a cause for concern but less so. Rear wings and inner arches are quite often rusted away, pay particular attention to the area behind the back of the rear wing where it is a double skin and comes up to meet the boot floor. Finally the boot floor itself. Areas of corrosion are common along the back of the boot floor where it meets the rear panel. Check for poor repairs here also.

Engine

In the most cases, Midgets and Sprites had the trusty BMC ‘A’ series engine fitted. It came in various sizes ranging from the early cars with 948cc and then 1098cc to the later models with the larger 1275cc unit. From there a major change was made and in 1975 the ‘A’ series engine was replaced with Triumph’s 1500cc unit.

In general the ‘A’ series engine was a trustworthy lump but as in all cases, neglect and over-enthusiasm often brought them to their knees earlier than desired. Look for low oil pressure particularly when the engine is fully warmed up, a worn engine will breath and you can smell burnt oil and fumes from under the bonnet as well as the exhaust. One engine that perhaps should be mentioned to take particular attention to is the early 1098cc version fitted to the Mk2 Midget and Mk3 Sprite. These engines shared the same crankshaft as the Austin A40 and Morris Minor 1000 and whilst seemingly OK in these models was not a strong unit in a Spridget. A more substantial crankshaft was fitted to the later 1098cc engines (with engine number prefix 10CC) and this shared the larger journal sizes of the Mini Cooper S range. The 1275cc engine was and still is a tuners delight, it is one of those engines that can be bored and stroked to nearly 1600cc and develop very healthy power. I will not go down the route of tuning here except to say, beware of tuned and tired engines. None of these engines have the life of today’s engines and one would expect to be rebuilding an engine at about 70 / 80,000 miles of normal use.

The later 1500 engine when in good fettle is a good unit and develops good power and torque, however it has a weakness. Its crankshaft journals are small and therefore their life is not long. I have heard of modifications to the lubrication system that drastically improves matters, but this is not an everyday modification.

Gearbox

The early cars were fitted with what is known as a ‘smoothcase’ gearbox, easily distinguishable buy its smooth appearance. These gearboxes are weak and spare parts are almost impossible to obtain now. However, those with early cars, do have less powerful engines and tend not to suffer too much trouble. The later gearbox is the ‘ribcase’ and again it can be easily identified by its appearance. A lot stronger gearbox and one that can be rebuilt. You may find some cars that have had various five speed gearboxes fitted, beware of this if you are after a ‘pure’ car, that is all I am going to say about five speed conversions.

Going back to the standard gearboxes, the problems to be aware of are noisy first and reverse gears. These gearboxes have a straight cut first and reverse and do have a ‘wine’ of their own, but this should not be mistaken for worn gears and bearings which is much more pronounced. Another thing to be aware of is worn synchromesh and gearbox internals. These gearboxes both ‘smoothcase’ and ‘ribcase’ are pleasant and easy to use, they have NO synchromesh on first gear so it is not advised to try to change down to first whilst on the move. The later gearbox fitted to the 1500cc models are a lot stronger but carry a weight penalty, they certainly are not a cause for major concern.

Axle, steering and suspension

I have grouped this together as I feel it is one area of the car that can be covered as a whole. The front suspension and steering is often the MOT testers favourite area on these cars and particular attention must be taken to inspect these items carefully. Wear and corrosion cause problems here and this is usually down to poor and irregular maintenance. There are between three and four greasing points on each front suspension and steering unit, these need lubrication very regularly and NOT with grease but with thick oil or a waterproof grease. The most common cause of MOT failure here is what is known as ‘Kingpin’ wear. In most cases that I have had to deal with over the years show little or no wear at all but excessive corrosion to the bottom of the ‘Kingpin’. Likewise the ‘Fulcrum’ Pin suffers in the same way. Other problems to be aware of may be track rod ends and play in the rack ends, but neither of these are major areas of concern. The front springs give little trouble but the rears start to sag after time and may require re-setting or replacement. The rear axle usually gives little or no trouble but listen for a noisy differential. Occasionally the rear hubs may leak oil into the rear brakes but this is usually due to lack of inspection and servicing and is easily sorted.

Brakes

The brakes on these little cars are very reliable when in good condition. Drum brakes all round on the early cars, and disc / drum combination on all models from the 1098cc engine onwards. Bad maintenance and worn parts can lead one into thinking that the brakes need up rating. The fronts require inspection now and again and the rears require regular adjustment to keep them performing well.

Exterior trim

The trim on the outside of the car is an aesthetic thing only. Sprites were fitted with no fancy strips on the bonnet or waistline, whereas the Midget was until 1969 when the trim vanished in stages of production. Later cars were fitted with a sill finisher and sill lettering. Careful inspection may reveal corrosion around the fittings for these trims.

Interior trim

The trim changed slightly almost from model to model, so if you are looking for an accurately detailed car, your research should be thorough. Many cars over the years have been messed around with and items swapped from model to model.

Maintenance

As with any car, servicing and routine maintenance is compulsory and certainly aids the reliability and enjoyment you will get from your trusty steed. The engine requires oil and filter to be renewed every 6000 miles or 12 months (whichever occurs first), plus air filters, plugs, points and condenser should also be renewed at the same time. Gear oil is usually fitted for life, but regular changing can’t do any harm at all, likewise the rear axle oil. Brakes as mentioned above require looking at frequently even if only to dust them out and adjust them, however more importantly, remove the front brake pads and push back the calliper pistons every now and then, just to be sure that everything is free and working.

Looking after the bodywork is easy, regular washing under the car and cleaning out trapped mud and deposits will help prevent corrosion and touching up stone chips will do likewise. Remember cellulose paint and chrome are both porous so regular waxing will also help these areas. Finally an under body wax such as Waxoil or Dinatrol is also a good deterrent for corrosion.

Points of reference taken from “Original Sprite & Midget” by Terry Horler

Written by Mark T Boldry

_DSC3555

A new owner’s perspective

Growing up I was surrounded by cars, MGs in particular. Summers spent breathing in the intoxicating Castrol ‘R’ fumes at numerous race circuits, ‘helping’ dad at a young age as he serviced the many MGs he has owned, navigating the British countryside on several Speckled Hen runs and the like. I knew I would own an MG of my own one day and I was always pretty sure which one it would be.

I always liked the Midgets best. They just looked like so much fun and the drivers always seemed to have the biggest grins on their faces. I had watched them race, seen them hill climb, knew my dad had rallied one in the past and after seeing my parents pack enough gear for a two week-long camping trip to Switzerland into theirs, wondered if there was anything that couldn’t be done in a Midget.

Then, when I was about fourteen, I visited with my dad the workshops of Peter Wood, well known in MG circles, especially for his expertise on MGA Twin Cams, but also very well known for his work with old aircraft too. He was at the time, among other things, about half way through the re-building of a Spitfire (a Supermarine Spitfire not a Triumph), and not just any old Spitfire either, but the only known surviving naval version called a Seafire.

Peter very kindly allowed me to help out on Saturday mornings. Well when I say ‘help’, I really mean take stuff apart and watch and listen while things were built, but it meant that I learnt how engines and gearboxes worked and I gained some useful mechanical skills.

So every Saturday morning and much of my school holidays, until I went to university, was spent at Peter’s working on the Seafire but many MGs too. I found it all quite fascinating, and Peter very patient, putting up with my mistakes and endless questions. I was also very lucky as I was taken a few times to the VIP enclosures at some air shows where Spitfires would by flying, and had the opportunity to meet some of the pilots.

Six months or so before I left Peter’s he decided to re-build a 1974 round arch Midget on a new Heritage shell. This had been in the yard rusting away for many years, but Peter had all the documentation for it and just about every part required to completely re-build the car from scratch, from his stores of ‘new old stock’.

Furthermore, under the bench was a freshly built, and blueprinted,1275cc “A” series engine just crying out for a suitable car. I helped Peter start with the dismantling of PWV 765M, which had originally been finished in Glacier white with Autumn Leaf interior and had also been fitted with wire wheels, an unusual and very attractive combination. We started by removing all the large mechanical parts, for inspection, which due to its low mileage were in good order, especially the rear axle and gearbox.

I saw very little of the remaining work that went into this car as by now I was away furthering my education, but whenever I came home and made a visit to Peter, I noticed a little more had been done and so over time witnessed the re-birth of the Midget.

It was ten years later in the summer of 2005 when I felt I had been MG-less for long enough and should put matters right by getting my own car. At the annual Silverstone International I looked at all the Midgets, especially those for sale, though none of them impressed me too much (lots of shiny paint, but not too much floor in one case!).

Being impatient I was a bit disappointed; however I had a drive in dad’s Midget to restore my enthusiasm and the search resumed. A few weeks later when he was visiting Peter for some reason or another, my dad mentioned we were looking for a good Midget when Peter said, “well why doesn’t she buy mine?”

PWV 765M had simply been sitting in one of Peter’s workshops gathering dust (lots of dust), unused, even un-MOT’d for the past ten years, just waiting for an owner. It would cost more than my intended budget, but what a chance. In fact the only chance I would probably ever have of buying the nearest thing to a brand new 1974 MG Midget!

It was by now about mid September and so it made sense to put things off until the following spring, this would give me more time to save up, and Peter time to get the car up and running once again. And so it was in April 2006 when dad collected PWV and took it home for some serious running-in, between himself and Peter all the little problems were eventually put right, and after a good polish the car looked terrific.

Dad drove the car down to me on a perfect summer’s day in June and I went for my first drive, taking just a short trip around the local lanes up on the South Downs near Stockbridge. It was simply perfect; I’ll remember it for the rest of my life. The steering, pin sharp, seemed a little heavy compared to my modern car, and the gear change very precise, but pretty quickly everything fell into place.

I’ve really only had about four month’s driving experience in my Midget but it has all been tremendous fun.

Compared to any modern car everything on my Midget has character. The way the doors need closing or the windows winding, the noise from first gear, the way it takes corners, I could go on and on, its just what I always thought it would be – and then some. I had already come to accept that there would be the odd problem, mainly because the car had stood un-used for so long, and there will always be jobs to keep me busy I am sure, as with any old car.

But to me, that is all part of the appeal and I hope that by doing a lot of the work myself, I will get to know my Midget well enough to know if anything is going wrong before it does, and be able to enjoy the car for what it is – a fantastic little sports car.

Written by Katie Wharf
Santalier
année : 1971
Serie speciale : Ayant appartenu à:
-Johnny Walker
-Walter Lagavulin
-Petula Pimm's
-Claytie Gordon's
-Sarah Chivas
-James Delamain
-Nathalie Côte-Rotie
-Sophie Volnay
-Catherine Saint-Julien
-Giovanna Spritz

Message par Santalier »

« j en ai trouvé une autre pour 6500e..du coup j ai encore besoin de votre avis:« 

...étonnant comme question...qui ne peut appeler que les mêmes réponses au premier message accompagné des photos « épisode 1 »

Si tu avais nourri ton profil en situant ta région, peut etre qu’un (distingué) Membre du Forum irait, dans un fol élan d’humanité, se proposer de t’accompagner, à défaut de ton investissement dans un expert ou pro, pour ausculter la « belle ».....

Nonobstant, on en attend une troisième à 6.500 € avec les photos « épisode 3 » qui font rêver.......
Dinosaure

Message par Dinosaure »

Je ne peux que te renouveler mon conseil... contrôle technique volontaire à tes frais pas trop loin de l'endroit où elle se trouve.Si le prix (6500€ env) t'est aussi important, c'est il me semble, que ce n'est pas loin d'être ton budget maxi. A ce prix, tu auras forcément des frais difficiles à évaluer au vu de photos, qui peuvent avoir été prises dans le but d'en révéler le moins possible...
Si tu veux faire un achat "raisonnable", hors ce que je te suggère plus haut, vois si quelqu'un qui connait bien ces autos peut t'accompagner ou la voir pour toi.
Hors de ça, tu prends des risques...
Bon courage quand même dans tes recherches.
ttersu
année : 1968

Message par ttersu »

@Santalier: Jonatoon est à Blois ;)
Dinosaure

Message par Dinosaure »

Un petit coup de Photoshop pour éclaircir les "zimages" ...et éventuellement les idées ?

Fait mais je n'arrive pas à les insérer...
william1707
Région : France - Rhône-Alpes
Type : TF
année : 2004

Message par william1707 »

on achète pas une voiture sur photo ...
danv8

Message par danv8 »

william1707 a écrit :on achète pas une voiture sur photo ...
En fait aujourd'hui, la plupart des gens c'est plutôt un crédit qu'ils achètent...Alors pas besoin de photos, et suffit de l'essayer pour comprendre qu'il vaut mieux fuir la proposition!!! :pb:

:humour:
Répondre