Répondre
XK22
Région : France - Bretagne
année : 1955

Installer un Overdrive sur une MGB

Message par XK22 »

Lu sur le net...

MGB Overdrive Installation Tip

Very few overdrive MGB’s were sold in the U.S.; however, the vast majority of the ones in the mid 70’s on in England had overdrive. Increasingly, many of those units are finding their way to North America. When I did a performance re-build on my 1978 B, I replaced my standard MGB transmission with an overdrive one.

My mechanic & I discovered that installing the transmission mounts to connect to the cross member were a nightmare. The manual says to hook them onto the butterfly-shaped apparatus on the cross-member, then bolt on the mounts to the transmission. We proceeded to do that. The front mount bolts went onto the transmission just fine. However, because of the squared-off overdrive housing hanging down, access to the back bolts was impossible… requiring us to hold the mount and the butterfly-shaped apparatus that connects the two mounts perfectly aligned over the target hole, then insert one finger with a bolt and lock washer balanced on the fingertip into a space not quite big enough for a human finger, start the bolt onto uncooperative coarse threads, then turn the bolt with that single finger, while holding it from falling off with a flattened bent screwdriver.

Finishing the operation off was worse, as there was no room for any type of wrench nor a socket. It took over an hour to get one side done… but the opposite side eluded us completely! After over an hour and a half of this – dropping the bolt & lock washer over and over, we finally gave up.

We abandoned the butterfly-shaped device and just bolted on the mounts which angle out in opposite directions at about 45 degrees. The car was on a lift, so we decided to get creative. We fitted the butterfly-shaped piece that connects the two mounts over one mount; because of the mount bolts angling outward, this butterfly piece wouldn’t fit over the second mount’s bolt.

We finally pulled an engine hoist under the car and used a 4” x 4” x 4” block of wood on top of the hoist arm to press up against the center of the apparatus. Gently using the hoist’s hydraulics to raise the arm to push the block of wood to compress the motor mounts and to push butterfly apparatus UP and to the opposite side, we used two pry bars to gently guide the bolt on the opposite mount into the hole. Voila! In five minutes or less, we accomplished what we had been trying to do for over an hour and a half… and no more sore fingers and dropped nuts and washers.

saby

Re: Installer un Overdrive sur une MGB

Message par saby »

"a nighmare..."

et oui la mécanique c'est souvent un cauchemar...
je suppose que le type il veut parler de ça :
ImageAlbum MG
saby

Message par saby »

"mais pourquoi acheter une vieille voiture"

pour s'encanailler, to slum it, in English language
kdouze
Région : Belgique
Type : B
année : 1969

Message par kdouze »

je n'ai pas eu mal aux doigts (ou ais-je eu le nez fin ?), j'ai fait monter l'OD par mon mécano

favori... :)
alan
année : 1923

Message par alan »

c'est marrant ça...
il y a 10 ans ce forum a été crée pour que l'on puisse échanger en langue française :suspect:
MG O1->B69
Région : France - Pays de la Loire

Message par MG O1->B69 »

il y a 10 ans ce forum a été crée pour que l'on puisse échanger en langue française
No matter, thinking is becoming lower & lower everyday, didn't you know?
"Il n'y a de nouveau que ce qui a été oublié" :voyons:
Répondre